Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"Nostalgia" or "Better"?


These days everyone is rushing out and buying up things that are "Retro" or "Nostalgic". Are we just in another fad? Is it because we are not creative enough to come up with a new style; or is the old way really just better? I recently inherited a double edged travel razor from my grandpa. It was bought many years ago before he was converted to the more convenient electric shaver. Since I am away from home I am unable to tell you the make and model, which I will reserve for another day. I have a friend that has recently become fascinated by a straight razor and is likely going to convert. I have no desire to convert to the all out straight razor but am vary interested in attempting to use a double edged razor. I will embark on this journey by first doing a little research on some techniques and places where I can buy supplies. I hope to find razor blades, shaving cream, and a brush locally. Will this give me a better shave? The critics say yes, but at least I can be a conversation piece along the way. And I hope to find that this will not just fall into the "classic" category but truly be something that can be carried far into my lifetime of facial hair grooming.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Jim... cool that you are going to give the DE razor a go. Check out http://www.thestraightrazorplace.com. They have tons of information on shaving with straights and DEs and anything shaving related. That site is a fantastic resource and the guys one there are super-helpful and cool.

    Things are going great for me with the straight razor. I'm getting a nice comfortable shave and have been at it for a little under a week. The first one was a little rough (lots of irritation and a few nicks) and I went back, watched some videos and got some more pointers from the experts. There is a lot of technique to learn with the straight razor and I think I'm beginning to get the feel.

    There are many things that attract me to the straight razor: Lower cost over time; lower environmental impact; a closer more comfortable shave (if you do it right); it takes time to learn the skills and get good at it; it is a nice, relaxing experience to get up early and take your time with a nice shave.

    My advice is to learn everything you can, ask questions of the experts and start with shave-ready equipment. Oh yeah, and don't ever shave with a straight or DE if you are in a rush... just skip it or fall back to the safety razor if you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually screwed up the link there... it is just:

    http://straightrazorplace.com

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete