Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Icepack!


Growing up around sports does not give me the credentials of an athlete. In fact the closest athlete I have in the family is my aunt and cousin; and they live in Washington! So needless to say, I have not been trained in the art healing minor muscle aches and pains. What do you use: heat or cold? Today I went to the chiropractor and after days of blistering heat and coals to sooth the ach, he tells me to use ice! Ice, that’s not nice. That’s why I live in Redding; to get away from ice. Well after 15 minutes with an ice pack, I had gone through several sensations. First is the initial “ah” of cold. Then you are followed by a “that’s not so bad”. It actually feels good for a few minutes. Then the tingling pain sets in and if you are lucky you will end numb and may accidentally forget about it. What these 15 minutes granted me was reduced inflammation and actually makes it feel a little better. So am I an expert on healing? No, but maybe next time I will throw out the coals in favor of the bag of peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment