Thursday, April 29, 2010

I like 'em extra sloppy!


Today I ventured out to re-discover a childhood favorite. I started my journey at the local meat market not one mile from my home. There I gathered three pounds of raw 15% ground beef. I then went to the local market and gathered some anaheim peppers; red, yellow, and orange sweet peppers; and a yellow onion. I then went home and slowly cooked the meat as to just achieve doneness but as not to brown it at all. I then removed the meat and added the vegetables, cooking them to a nice softened state. At this time I poured myself a cup of coffee; it was after 8pm. Now I added brown sugar and cayenne powder. Cooked this for a bit, though again not burning it. Then I added the meat back in and added a secret brown sauce to it. I then thought something was wrong and found out what it was via the internet. I had confused the cayenne powder with paprika. Oh well, so it was a little spicier. I then remembered to add the worcestershire sauce. Now that I added the paprika and Worcestershire sauce to the pot; I let it simmer covered for over an hour so to combine all the flavors. Now, the house smells of greatness. And the flavor so far was outstanding! Now, it has to sit till tomorrow to settle to perfection!

1 comment:

  1. Just a little update. I skimmed off the little bit of fat that had coagulated in a well I made in the middle of the joe. Then I took a bite. Oh man! The flavor was out of this world! Definitely adding this one to the famous Ausboe recipe book!

    ReplyDelete