Friday, May 14, 2010

Crane fly


Numerous common names have been applied to the crane fly, many of them more or less regional, including mosquito hawk, mosquito eater (or skeeter eater), gallinipper, or gollywhopper. Crane flies vary in size ranging from 0.079” to 2.4”, while tropical species have been recorded at over 3.9”. The giant crane fly of the western United States can reach 1.5”. Despite their names, crane flies do not feed on mosquitoes as all, nor do they bite humans. They feed on nectar or they do not feed at all; once they become adults, most crane fly species exist as adults only to mate and die. Their larvae that I have never heard of, called leatherjackets, leatherbacks, leatherback bugs or leatherjacket slugs, because of the way they move , consume roots (such as those of turf grass) and other vegetation, in some cases causing damage to plants. Does this mean that we need to start killing these flying beasts instead of letting them live to kill mosquitoes? I have several in my house right now; I think I will let them live until I have a landscaped lawn.

1 comment:

  1. I just made a startling discovery tonight as a mosquito hawk regrettably made its way up through my, (he just landed on my neck) anyway as I was saying, sealing fan. After he came back down to earth it landed next to my keyboard to let me take a quick measurement. He had a leg span over 3”! Almost a record! Goodnight.

    ReplyDelete