Thursday, February 25, 2010

Riding in Redding.


Tonight I took my Schwinn out on a little ride down to the river. I have spent a lot of time down by the river since I moved into the garden tract just reflecting on life. Tonight I brought down my bike to snap some still shots of it by the water under the light of our magnificent Sun Dial Bridge. I love riding this bike. With only one gear and tall skinny tires, it just glides down the road silently and with ease.
Tonight was a cool night without a star in the sky. As I rode down to the waters edge all the cares of the world were flushed away by the soothing sound of the river flowing by. The grass was dewy from the moist air just teasing rain. The wind was calm and the light cast from the bridge sent a glow out over the water. While looking out over the calm flowing river, I am reminded of all the history of the area and what the river symbolizes for Redding. I think about times I have spent trying to catch one of the many trout that are seen jumping out of the water. About Morgan and I floating down the river in our kayaks. And about the future the river will play in my life. It is a place were I can take my wife and future children to get away from the busy world. Where they will learn to ride a bike, see fish jump, birds fly, and beavers play. A place were many fish may be caught. A place that someday Morgan and I can go and look back on our lives and reflect. As I rode away tonight silently into the dark, I felt refreshed and at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment