Thursday, February 18, 2010

How does one come to be called "littlejim"?

In a distant town far south of hear 28 years ago; a furry 3.5 lb baby boy was born to parents Stan and June Ausboe. The story could stop here with 3.5 lbs being the sole reason. But it doesn't. You see the true beginning of "littlejim" happened a couple of months into my life when we took a trip to Crescent City.

Crescent City is home to my dad's best friend from the Navy during the Vietnam War. His Name is as you guessed it Jim. "littlejim" just was meant to be when you put a new born baby boy into the arms of a 6' tall boxer. From that moment on we were referred too as "little" and "Big" Jim. Because of him I have grown to love the coast, boats, and many other things that I just don't enjoy enough. Even to this day I still call him "Big Jim".

Through my life littlejim has come into play several times. There was once a man also named Jim, who came to stay on Big Jim's land for a while. I have memories of him drying his pants on the hood of a blue datsun pickup. But these pants seemed to cover half the hood being they were so big. He instantly was named "Giant Jim". Giant Jim was a master artist and sculpture maker. During his stay, he inspired Big Jim to bring out his natural artistic talent. I have not seen him since a little child but, I plan on seeing him once again this summer.

The latest need for littlejim has come from my bicycle riding. There is a man named Jim who has done great things in his life. As of late he has gathered people around him to ride once a week and has called them the "Web Foot Riders". Since we are both of the same stature; I have carried on littlejim and he has acquired "Old Jim". Though at 52 years old, he is one tough hombre on a bicycle putting people half his age to shame, ie littlejim.

So though I have gone by many different forms of the name James, littlejim is the one that has the most meaning. My wife Morgan even calls me littlejim in the prescience of her family of beasts all towering over six foot. Now you know the history and the story of the man who is called littlejim. So thank you for embarking on this journey "The life of littlejim".

No comments:

Post a Comment